Advanced machine learning proactively detects unexpected activity and delivers persistent peace of mind
Tysons, VA and Las Vegas, NV - January 3, 2017
- At CES® 2017 today, Alarm.com (Nasdaq: ALRM), the leading platform for the intelligently connected home and business, launched the Alarm.com Insights Engine, a multi-sensor learning capability that recognizes and proactively responds to unexpected activity around a property.
The Alarm.com Insights Engine is a proprietary machine learning capability that safeguards homes and businesses by identifying patterns and insights in the growing set of data generated by devices and sensors in a connected property. By learning the unique activity patterns of any home or business, the Insights Engine can respond to unusual activity on behalf of the homeowner by taking action through Alarm.com's broad ecosystem of connected devices.
"Alarm.com has always aggregated sensor data to create an intelligent, proactive and contextually aware smart home experience," said Dan Kerzner, Alarm.com's Chief Product Officer. "The Insights Engine is an example of how we are extending that approach with machine learning to define the next generation of smart home solutions."
Unexpected Activity Notifications
The first application of the Insights Engine is a new category of intelligent awareness notifications that alert families to potential safety or security issues around their home. If the Insights Engine determines that the homeowner should be alerted, a push notification is sent, all without the homeowner having to create custom rules or notifications. For example:
- Early playtime: The front door to a home is frequently opened and closed early on weekday mornings, as the family leaves for work and school. On weekends, however, it's typically not opened until later in the day. When the door opens early on a Saturday morning, an unexpected activity notification prompts the homeowner that the kids are exploring the front yard.
- Date Night: A home's front door is typically locked by 7:30 pm on weekdays and 9:00 pm on weekends. While out at dinner, the homeowners receive a notification that the door is still unlocked at 9:15 pm on Saturday, and realize that the babysitter has forgotten to lock it. Acting on this information, they lock the door remotely using their Alarm.com app.
The Alarm.com Insights Engine continually adapts based on a range of factors including user input, changes in activity patterns and external factors.
- Actionable notifications allow users to ‘train' their smart homes to learn their preferences faster and to quickly adjust to new schedules. Notifications come with simple feedback options including Yes or No on the usefulness of each notification, enabling the Insights Engine to adapt quickly based on minimal user input. A third feedback option lets users ‘pause' notifications for 24 hours to incorporate a sudden but temporary schedule change such as a sick day.
- Time-intelligent notifications adjust in sensitivity depending on when an event takes place. An open garage door during daylight hours, for example, may not trigger an immediate notification. However, after sunset the system becomes more sensitive to security risks and is more likely to immediately alert the homeowner.
Alarm.com is the leading platform solution for the connected home and business. Millions of people depend on Alarm.com's technology to monitor and control their property from anywhere. Centered on security and remote monitoring, our platform addresses a wide range of market needs and enables application-based control for a growing variety of Internet of Things (IoT) devices. Our security, video monitoring, intelligent automation and energy management solutions are available through our network of thousands of professional service providers in North America and around the globe. Alarm.com's common stock is traded on Nasdaq under the ticker symbol ALRM. For more information, please visit www.alarm.com.
This press release includes forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, which may be identified by their use of terms and phrases such as "will," "intend," "enable," "plans," "develop," "designed to" and other similar terms and phrases, and may include but are not limited to, the statements regarding the Company's projected business strategies, the features, benefits and functions of the Insights Engine, projected investments and expenditures, anticipated market demand or opportunities for the Insights Engine and its current and future applications, and other forward-looking statements. These statements reflect the Company's current views with respect to future events, and are subject to certain risks, uncertainties, and assumptions. A number of factors could cause actual results to differ materially from those contained in the forward-looking statements, including the Company's ability to manage and execute on the Company's business strategies; the effects of increased competition and evolving technologies; the Company's ability to effectively enhance, innovate and scale the Company's solution; consumer demand for interactive security and home automation services; the reliability of the Company's hardware and technology suppliers; future financial prospects, and other factors discussed in the "Risk Factors" section of the Company's Annual Report on Form 10-K filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on February 29, 2016, the "Risk Factors" section of the Company's Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the quarterly period ended September 30, 2016 filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on November 14, 2016 and other subsequent filings the Company makes with the Securities and Exchange Commission from time to time. Actual results and the timing of certain events may differ materially from the results or timing predicted or implied by such forward-looking statements. The Company anticipates that subsequent events and developments may cause the Company's views to change. However, while the Company may elect to update these forward-looking statements at some point in the future, the Company specifically disclaims any obligation to do so except as required by law. These forward-looking statements should not be relied upon as representing the Company's views as of any date subsequent to the date hereof.