Follow these 5 easy steps to ensure your Alarm.com system is saving you money and energy this season
Autumn is upon us, so as you switch off your AC and turn up the heat, avoid wasting energy and money and make sure you follow these 5 easy steps to ensure your Alarm.com system is doing all the work for you.
1. Make sure all of your doors and windows are closed - it's useful to have sensors on the doors and windows you use the most so you don't end up heating the whole outdoors. Log into your account online, click the "More" tab at the top, click "Notifications," choose the section "Sensor Activity," then "Create New Notification." Here you can set up push notifications, texts, or email alerts if any of your sensors are left open.
2. Don't heat your house while you're away for the day - Automate your thermostat to a low target temperature for when you know you'll be away. For example, if you leave for work at 8:30 am and get home at 6 pm, set a low target temperature from 9 am to 5:30 pm. You'll feel comfortable when you're home, and avoid wasting energy and money while you're away. Set up a thermostat schedule by clicking the "emPowerTM" tab, and click "Thermostat." If you ever come home early, you can raise the temperate from the Alarm.com app on your phone.
3. When you're on vacation, maximize your home's energy efficiency - Fall is a great time to travel, so when you leave, automate you thermostat to stop heating your unoccupied home. Set up a default target temperature for when your system is "Armed Away" that overrides your scheduled Target Temperature. Under the "emPower" tab, click thermostat. At the bottom of the schedule you can set your Armed Away Target.
4. Stop draining energy when your appliances are off - Many of us know appliances like our TV still use energy even when they're off, but it's tedious to unplug them whenever they aren't in use. Power your appliances with a Z-Wave Appliance Module, and set up a rule through Alarm.com. Click "emPower," then "Rules" to add a time triggered rule to stop the electrical flow in the outlet when you know you won't be home.
5. Don't forget to turn out the lights - but even if you do, set your lights on a Smart Schedule so you never leave them on too long again. Under the "emPower" tab, click "Rules," and scroll down to "Scheduled Automation" to add a schedule. You can set your lights to go off when you know you won't be using them. Or choose to synchronize your lights with sunrise and sunset, so you lights adjusts to turn on and off at the perfect time all year.
Terms & Conditions
| Contact Us
Copyright © 2000-2014, Alarm.com. All rights reserved.Alarm.com and the Alarm.com Logo are registered trademarks of Alarm.com.